Spanish and English
Dispute Resolution, Civil and Commercial Litigation, Constitutional Law, Administrative Litigation, IP Litigation and Enforcement, White Collar Crime Defense
Practice and Profesional Career
Alejandro Penados is a Partner of Legalsa, where he works in the Dispute Resolution practice. His professional practice focuses on complex administrative, civil, commercial, criminal and constitutional litigation matters, as well as on arbitration. Alejandro has also acted to protect and enforce clients’ IP rights, through actions leading to the prosecution of unfair competition, counterfeiting and piracy cases. He has developed a specialized expertise in the management and resolution of shareholder and inheritance disputes; and he has litigated against several public institutions to uphold the rights of the holder of one of the largest concessions in recent Guatemalan history, as well as those of the holders of various tourism concessions.
Recently, Alejandro has led the management of major disputes involving regulatory matters in the telecommunications and energy sectors. Alejandro litigated in a major national dispute between two multinational companies regarding the distribution of several consumer brands. He has participated in designing strategies for the defense of clients accused of fraud and other white-collar crimes.
Alejandro participates actively in the Guatemalan Bar Association and several other professional associations and sits on several of their boards of directors. He recently was elected as a member of a tribunal which vets candidates for judgeship posts.
- JD, Universidad Rafael Landívar
- LLM in Business Law Consultancy, Instituto de Empresa, Madrid (Spain)
- Postgraduate studies in Business and Tax Criminal Law, Universidad del Istmo
- PhD (tesis pending) in Tax and Commercial Law, Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala
- Guatemalan Bar Association
- Guatemalan Institute of Procedural Law: Board Member
- Guatemalan Association of Professionals in Action: Treasurer
- Association of Western Guatemala Jurists